Monday, January 3, 2011

Progress...

Well, despite receiving a lead on Sadler's proper mailing address, I became otherwise wrapped up in preparation for another deployment, and the information lay dormant for almost a year.
As I was dredging through my email, I pulled up the information again and asked a British acquaintance to give it a check. Turns out that it is accurate, and my friend even had a brief chat! Well how about that?

I've sent a letter off, asking if we might have a chat or two of our own, and I am excited to see what the reply holds.

This post also allows me to add a clarification to my inaugural post. In it I stated the following:

My initial interest in Sadler stemmed from a read of The Phantom Major: The Story of David Stirling and the SAS Regiment, by Virgina Cowles. This interest grew after my reads of various books detailing the exploits of the Long Range Desert Group and their loose affiliation with the SAS before Stirling acquired his own transport. As someone who has languished over a map with sweat dripping from my brow as I plotted the next leg of my course, I wanted to know more about Sadler. I felt the larger historical and military audience would benefit from learning how Sadler learned to navigate, what standard operating procedures he observed, and how he applied his craft in the harsh conditions of the blistering sands.
I was browsing through John W. Gordon's book "The Other Desert War: British Special Forces in North Africa, 1940-1943" today, and was reminded that there was no loose affiliation involved, but rather a fairly well-formed, close relationship. My previous statement was thoroughly incorrect.

No comments: